Skip to main content

Lemon and Thyme Infused Salmon Bake

We all know that fish is great for you; you've probably seen the studies that we should be incorporating it into our diets a couple times a week. This in theory seems like something that we should all easily be able to do, but for some reason I often find myself struggling to meet these goals. I thought I would share this recipe because it is a healthy, flavorful one and what I love most about this recipe is that you can completely prep it the day before you cook! I am a HUGE fan of meals that I can prep in advance. Anything that makes life easier. 

If available I always try to purchase fish that is wild caught. There are a number of reasons why I am so picky about this. First of all, wild caught fish looks and tastes better than a farm raised fish. Second, many farm raised fish are raised in poor conditions and fed fish food that is high in toxic chemicals, like PCB. Some farm raised fish are bred in more favorable conditions than I have described, but there is no way to tell what you are getting at the store. It it either farm raised or wild caught. I choose wild caught. End rant.   


I cut the salmon fillet into 4 pieces. Almost anytime you can purchase a larger cut of meat and portion it yourself it will save you money. Since it is just the two of us I plan to save a couple of the pieces of salmon for another evening. If you are cooking for four than around a 1 lb fillet would be the perfect amount of fish.


I slice a lemon into circular slices... 


...and then lay a couple of the slice in the center of a piece of aluminum foil.


I top the lemon slices with one of the salmon fillets and liberally coat with salt and pepper.


Next, I add some fresh thyme to the fish. When using fresh herbs you need to use more than if you were using dry herbs. Most the time you should use about 3x the amount of fresh herbs. For example: If a recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme than you would use about 3/4 teaspoon fresh thyme to get the same flavor.   


I top the herbs and spices with olive oil...


...and then roll the foil up around the fish.


I finish creating homemade foil pouches by rolling the edges up around the fillet.  


I cook the salmon at 375 for about 20-25 minutes or until it flakes apart when touched with a fork.


I served the salmon with a fresh spinach salad and it was the perfect easy, healthy meal!



Lemon Thyme Infused Salmon Bake 

Ingredients:
1 lb salmon filet (cut into 1-1/2 inch thick slices)
1 lemon (slices)
1 tsp thyme
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Use aluminum foil squares to make salmon packets as follows: lemon slices (2), salmon, drizzle of oil, 1/4 tsp thyme per packet and a liberal sprinkle of salt and pepper.
3. Wrap packet up tightly around salmon as shown in pictures above.
4. Bake at 375 for approximately 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes apart when touched with a fork.  
5. Serve fish in packets with a side of grilled vegetables or green salad and crusty bread for a healthy dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Open Face Roast Beef Sandwiches with Whipped Potatoes and Homemade Gravy

 Open faced sandwiches are a southern staple. Thank goodness for that because who doesn't love a gigantic plate of bread, meat, potatoes, and gravy? Think these sound amazing already? Well hang on to your chairs, folks. It gets even better. These sandwiches are made in a slow cooker and what busy mother (or father or what the heck anyone at all for that matter) doesn't love a slow cooker recipe? I enjoy a slow cooker recipe because most are simple, simple, simple. This recipe is a little more work than some slow cooker meals, but it certainly isn't one that will disappoint.  Whenever I am making a slow cooker meal I always prep everything the night before. It makes it very easy the next morning because all you have to do is plug in the crock pot and turn it on.  I combine the beef cut, a large pinch of red pepper flakes, thyme, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce in a large crock pot and then let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning I pull

Extreme Couponing at Target

If you thought I couldn't get any geekier, than my friends, you were wrong!! I recently stumbled upon a blog called "Saving with Shelly." This blog is amazing and often shows you how to purchase items for great deals. I am not a "crazy coupon queen", but some of these deals are truly too good to pass up. I wanted to shared these deals with you so you can go and get these fabulous deals as well. If you aren't into a good deal then just ignore this blog and check back later this week because I am getting ready to post another fabulous week of meals! If you LOVE this blog entry then you should definitely consider joining Shelly's blog. I will post the link to her blog at the bottom of this entry. Deal #1 Up and Up Brand Aspirin (Target brand) I did this deal three times. One bottle for the house, one for the car and one for my desk! $.99 (use Target on-line coupon $1/1 Up and Up pain reliever coupon) = Free Aspirin http://coupons.target.com/#

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice: Day 5 of My Week of Meals

I really do enjoy cooking, but when I get home from school it often seems I am worn out, and the last thing I want to do is prepare dinner for my family. I know, shame on me! What woman doesn't want to come home and prepare a feast for her family?!? Well, I find no shame in admitting that many days I just did not feel like it. I am worn out from hanging with my "60 school children" and am ready to spend time playing in the floor with my daughter. I guess that brings me back to the reason why I started this blog...we were eating out almost every night, the pounds were starting to pile on, and my body was feeling awful! While I have been on summer break it has actually been quite easy for me to find the time to prepare dinner each night, but I try to be a realist and know that once I start back to school those same old feeling will start to creep back in. That is why I am always on the search for a good slow cooker recipe! I recently stumbled upon this recipe while