Skip to main content

Steakhouse Slowcooker Chili


It is March, almost April and is still cold, oh wait, freezing in Kentucky. As much as this upsets me I decided to take advantage of the extended winter season and make a large pot of chili. Chili is definitely a seasonal food for me. I don't enjoy chili, or any soup for that matter, near as much when it's warm out.

 My husband is typically the "chili maker" in our home. He rarely cooks, so when he volunteers to help out in the kitchen I gladly step aside. I wouldn't dare tread on what he has going on, so I make sure I create something that tastes and is made completely different than his chili. If you have checked out any of my earlier blogs you have probably gathered that I like putting my own twist on things anyhow. Ergo, my steakhouse slow cooker chili! This chili has a little twang, a little heat and is made in the crock pot. What's not to love?

I start by cutting a few slices of thick bacon into bite size pieces. Bacon makes everything better, including chili! Look it up - this is clearly stated in the bible and dictionary. 
  

While I am cutting up the bacon I begin heating a skillet over medium heat. Once I have finished chopping the bacon I add it to the warm skillet. I saute the bacon pieces for about a minute or until the slices start to render fat. This basically means when I see grease floating around in the bottom of the skillet I know it is time to add the ground beef.  
 

I often cook with healthier meats, but chili is one of those meals that I just can't do that with. I do, however, make sure that I buy a high quality ground beef for the steak house chili. No regular ol' chuck or round will do. Spend the extra couple bucks and buy some good quality, low fat beef. It is worth it. I add the beef to the pan and saute until it is cooked through. This takes about 7-8 minutes.
 
I typically drain off the excess fat/grease when I am cooking with ground beef, but because I purchased a higher quality, lower fat beef I am not going to do that. The bacon grease adds such a wonderful flavor that it would be a shame to let it go to waste, right?


I pour the browned ground beef and bacon directly into my crock pot.



 I use a combination of your "basic" chili ingredients and a few extras to make the rest of the chili.



I scoot the meat mixture to one side of the crock pot and add one can of tomato sauce to the other side. To the sauce I add a heaping handful of brown sugar. I have found that if I don't mix the brown sugar into the tomato sauce first it won't get well incorporated and you end up with chunks of sugar in your chili. I can eat sugar straight from the jar, but I don't want a big bite of it when I am eating my chili. It's like getting surprise big bite of jalapeno or garlic in something. Just not what you are expecting, so it's not pleasant.

To the sauce I also add a couple big glugs of Worcestershire sauce and a couple splashes of hot sauce. I actually add about 5 or 6 splashes of hot sauce, but I really enjoy a little heat in my dishes. A couple is plenty if you don't like things very spicy. We have a friend that can barely eat ketchup without breaking into a sweat, so leave it out if the chili powder in chili is typically enough heat for you.


I use a whisk to make sure I have the sauce well mixed and then I begin adding the other ingredients.


To the slow cooker I add two cans of drained and rinsed kidney beans. I like a light and dark mix, so I always add one can of each.

I also add one additional can of tomato sauce and two cans of diced tomatoes.


I give the pot a good mix and then add my fresh ingredients. A couple cloves of garlic...

...a chopped green bell pepper and a couple chopped onions.

I give the pot another good stir! Looks rather tasty already.

Lastly, I add a heaping handful of chili powder and pop the lid on the slow cooker.

After 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low I have a beautiful pot of flavorful chili. I wish I had smell-o-vision for you folks because.....Mmmmmmm! 


Just like I think everything is better with bacon I also think near everything is better with a topping, especially soup! This chili can be topped a number of different ways. I put some jalapenos and sour cream on top of mine. Aaron and Addi ate their chili with cheese on top. You can't go wrong with a topping...cheese, sour cream, any type of onion, jalapenos, bacon bits, or crackers. Heck, if I had all of the previous listed I would probably add each and every topping! Choose your favorites and sprinkle some a top a giant bowl of goodness. Enjoy! 



Steakhouse Slow Cooker Chili

Ingredients:
1 lb Prime or Choice ground beef
4 slices thick cut bacon
2 cans kidney beans, drained
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
1 large onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
5 tablespoons chili powder
Your choice chili toppings: crackers, cheese, sour cream, onions, jalapenos...

1. Begin by heating a skillet over medium high heat.
2. While the pan is heating, chop the bacon into bite size pieces.
3. Add the bacon to the pan and saute for about 1 minute or until the bacon has rendered about 1-2 tablespoons fat.
4. Add the ground beef the the pan and cook until there is longer any pink meat. This takes about 7-8 minutes.
5. Add the meat mixture to a large crock pot. Scoot the meat mixture to one side of the crock pot and add 1 can tomato sauce to the other side.
6. To the sauce add the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Whisk until all ingredients are incorporated.
7. Add the remaining can of sauce, drained kidney beans, diced tomatoes, onion, green pepper and garlic to the pot. Stir to combine.
8. Add the chili powder and give the pot another good stir.
9. Place the lid on the crock pot and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.
10. Top the chili with your favorite steak house toppings! Yummy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Open Face Roast Beef Sandwiches with Whipped Potatoes and Homemade Gravy

 Open faced sandwiches are a southern staple. Thank goodness for that because who doesn't love a gigantic plate of bread, meat, potatoes, and gravy? Think these sound amazing already? Well hang on to your chairs, folks. It gets even better. These sandwiches are made in a slow cooker and what busy mother (or father or what the heck anyone at all for that matter) doesn't love a slow cooker recipe? I enjoy a slow cooker recipe because most are simple, simple, simple. This recipe is a little more work than some slow cooker meals, but it certainly isn't one that will disappoint.  Whenever I am making a slow cooker meal I always prep everything the night before. It makes it very easy the next morning because all you have to do is plug in the crock pot and turn it on.  I combine the beef cut, a large pinch of red pepper flakes, thyme, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce in a large crock pot and then let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning I pull

Extreme Couponing at Target

If you thought I couldn't get any geekier, than my friends, you were wrong!! I recently stumbled upon a blog called "Saving with Shelly." This blog is amazing and often shows you how to purchase items for great deals. I am not a "crazy coupon queen", but some of these deals are truly too good to pass up. I wanted to shared these deals with you so you can go and get these fabulous deals as well. If you aren't into a good deal then just ignore this blog and check back later this week because I am getting ready to post another fabulous week of meals! If you LOVE this blog entry then you should definitely consider joining Shelly's blog. I will post the link to her blog at the bottom of this entry. Deal #1 Up and Up Brand Aspirin (Target brand) I did this deal three times. One bottle for the house, one for the car and one for my desk! $.99 (use Target on-line coupon $1/1 Up and Up pain reliever coupon) = Free Aspirin http://coupons.target.com/#

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice: Day 5 of My Week of Meals

I really do enjoy cooking, but when I get home from school it often seems I am worn out, and the last thing I want to do is prepare dinner for my family. I know, shame on me! What woman doesn't want to come home and prepare a feast for her family?!? Well, I find no shame in admitting that many days I just did not feel like it. I am worn out from hanging with my "60 school children" and am ready to spend time playing in the floor with my daughter. I guess that brings me back to the reason why I started this blog...we were eating out almost every night, the pounds were starting to pile on, and my body was feeling awful! While I have been on summer break it has actually been quite easy for me to find the time to prepare dinner each night, but I try to be a realist and know that once I start back to school those same old feeling will start to creep back in. That is why I am always on the search for a good slow cooker recipe! I recently stumbled upon this recipe while