Skip to main content

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice: Day 5 of My Week of Meals


I really do enjoy cooking, but when I get home from school it often seems I am worn out, and the last thing I want to do is prepare dinner for my family. I know, shame on me! What woman doesn't want to come home and prepare a feast for her family?!? Well, I find no shame in admitting that many days I just did not feel like it. I am worn out from hanging with my "60 school children" and am ready to spend time playing in the floor with my daughter.

I guess that brings me back to the reason why I started this blog...we were eating out almost every night, the pounds were starting to pile on, and my body was feeling awful! While I have been on summer break it has actually been quite easy for me to find the time to prepare dinner each night, but I try to be a realist and know that once I start back to school those same old feeling will start to creep back in. That is why I am always on the search for a good slow cooker recipe! I recently stumbled upon this recipe while on Pinterest, tested it out, and am in love with it! This one is what we refer to as a "keeper" in our house and a recipe I will frequent this school year. I love coming home to a meal that has basically cooked itself and is ready for me to devour! 

This dish is SO SO super easy to prepare that I don't even need to make any notes. You literally just chop all your ingredients and throw them in the crockpot. Ok, I lied...just one note: If you are like my sister and you hate chopping you could make it even easier and buy the pre-chopped vegetables that they sell in most grocery produce sections.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do. It makes a very large amount of red beans and rice, so invite some friends and family over to share this meal with you. Good food and fellowship is never a bad combination.  


Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice

Ingredients:
1 pound dried red beans
7 cups water (or chicken broth if you want to splurge)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
3 tablespoons Creole seasoning
Hot cooked rice
Garnish suggestion: sliced green onions

Preperation:

1. Place first 8 ingredients in a slow cooker.
2. Cook, covered, on high for about 7 hours or until beans are tender.
3. Serve with rice and garnish with green onions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Open Face Roast Beef Sandwiches with Whipped Potatoes and Homemade Gravy

 Open faced sandwiches are a southern staple. Thank goodness for that because who doesn't love a gigantic plate of bread, meat, potatoes, and gravy? Think these sound amazing already? Well hang on to your chairs, folks. It gets even better. These sandwiches are made in a slow cooker and what busy mother (or father or what the heck anyone at all for that matter) doesn't love a slow cooker recipe? I enjoy a slow cooker recipe because most are simple, simple, simple. This recipe is a little more work than some slow cooker meals, but it certainly isn't one that will disappoint.  Whenever I am making a slow cooker meal I always prep everything the night before. It makes it very easy the next morning because all you have to do is plug in the crock pot and turn it on.  I combine the beef cut, a large pinch of red pepper flakes, thyme, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce in a large crock pot and then let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning I pull

Extreme Couponing at Target

If you thought I couldn't get any geekier, than my friends, you were wrong!! I recently stumbled upon a blog called "Saving with Shelly." This blog is amazing and often shows you how to purchase items for great deals. I am not a "crazy coupon queen", but some of these deals are truly too good to pass up. I wanted to shared these deals with you so you can go and get these fabulous deals as well. If you aren't into a good deal then just ignore this blog and check back later this week because I am getting ready to post another fabulous week of meals! If you LOVE this blog entry then you should definitely consider joining Shelly's blog. I will post the link to her blog at the bottom of this entry. Deal #1 Up and Up Brand Aspirin (Target brand) I did this deal three times. One bottle for the house, one for the car and one for my desk! $.99 (use Target on-line coupon $1/1 Up and Up pain reliever coupon) = Free Aspirin http://coupons.target.com/#