Skip to main content

Semi-Homemade Pizza


 Sundays have religiously been "pizza night" at our home since my husband and I moved in together. This was something we could easily afford while we were still living it up without a baby, but once our little bundle of joy came along it didn't seem practical to be spending a $100 a month on take-out pizzas. That being said, we were not willing to give up our Sunday night pies so I decided to try making our weekly pizza in-house. I quickly learned that I could save us money and calories by making our pizza at home. It is very easy, quick and just as tasty as ordering out!
I know, I know...I used to frown at the thought of a homemade pizza too. Trust me, my homemade pizzas are like no Tombstone, Red Barons or DiGiorno that I have ever tasted. My pizzas are better!
 
Making a pizza at home is also a great way to include your kids in the kitchen. It's never too early to start showing your children how to cook. Use recipes like this one to teach your children what food groups the different ingredients come from and talk about healthy food choices! You can easily turn this into a very valuable learning experience! I can't wait until my daughter is big enough to help because kids LOVE helping make a pizza! Mommy (or Daddy) can chop up the ingredients and then let the kiddos decorate the pizza. Chop up some extra veggies and have the kids "hide" them under all that cheese. No questions asked; the kids will eat all those veggies right up! 
 
 
This recipe is one of mine that I would refer to as a "semi-homemade" meal because it is so very simple and uses ingredients that require no pre-cooking.
 First, I lay the crust out on a cutting board. Building my pizza on a cutting board allows me to slide it right in the oven when it is ready to be cooked.
 
 
I pour at least a cup of sauce onto the center of the pizza crust. Don't worry about looking for and buying the sauce that says it is specifically made to be used as pizza sauce. Just buy a jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce. It is much cheaper (in most cases) and will taste just as good.
 I use the back of a spoon to spread the sauce evenly over the crust. Some people say, "The cheese makes the pizza." Well, my husband would tell you that you are wrong, my friends. My husband swears that the sauce is the most important ingredient when making a pizza. Needless to say, I typically go a little heavy on the sauce. I like to make my honey happy!
 

After I have a good coating of sauce I sprinkle the cheese evenly over the pizza crust.

 
I dug around in our fridge before I started putting the pizza together and I found some banana pepper rings and pepperoni. I was feeling a little lazy, so I just grabbed those items and decided that would work for our pizza this evening. When I am really in a "cooking mood" I will chop up green pepper, onion, mushrooms and any other fresh vegetables we have on hand. You probably have more than enough items on hand at any given time that you could use to top a pizza! Don't be scared to try new combinations. You could even try making a taco, buffalo chicken or Thai flavored pizza. The possibilities are endless! MMMmmmmm...

I cover the cheese with tons of toppings...
 
 
...and then sprinkle the entire pizza with a little more cheese.
 

 
I cook the pizza at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes. I always cook my pizza directly on the rack because I love the crisp that it gives to the crust. Once the cheese is melted and bubbly I remove it from the oven and let it set for about 5 minutes before I cut into slices. Yummy! Looks and tastes delicious. Why order take out when you can just as easily make your own pizza at home?
  

Semi-Homemade Pizza

Ingredients
1 store bought pizza crust (I typically buy Mama Mary's because you get two crusts in the package for the price of one)
1 cup jarred spaghetti sauce
2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Your choice toppings

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Lay the crust onto a cutting board and pour one cup sauce into the center of the crust.
3. Use a spatula or back of a spoon to evenly spread the sauce over the crust.
4. Use approximately 2 cups of the cheese to create an even layer of cheese over the sauce.
5. Load the pizza with your choice of toppings. Don't hold back!
6. Bake the pizza directly on the middle rack for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
7. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slow Cooker Open Face Roast Beef Sandwiches with Whipped Potatoes and Homemade Gravy

 Open faced sandwiches are a southern staple. Thank goodness for that because who doesn't love a gigantic plate of bread, meat, potatoes, and gravy? Think these sound amazing already? Well hang on to your chairs, folks. It gets even better. These sandwiches are made in a slow cooker and what busy mother (or father or what the heck anyone at all for that matter) doesn't love a slow cooker recipe? I enjoy a slow cooker recipe because most are simple, simple, simple. This recipe is a little more work than some slow cooker meals, but it certainly isn't one that will disappoint.  Whenever I am making a slow cooker meal I always prep everything the night before. It makes it very easy the next morning because all you have to do is plug in the crock pot and turn it on.  I combine the beef cut, a large pinch of red pepper flakes, thyme, beef stock and Worcestershire sauce in a large crock pot and then let it sit in the fridge overnight. The next morning I pull

Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice: Day 5 of My Week of Meals

I really do enjoy cooking, but when I get home from school it often seems I am worn out, and the last thing I want to do is prepare dinner for my family. I know, shame on me! What woman doesn't want to come home and prepare a feast for her family?!? Well, I find no shame in admitting that many days I just did not feel like it. I am worn out from hanging with my "60 school children" and am ready to spend time playing in the floor with my daughter. I guess that brings me back to the reason why I started this blog...we were eating out almost every night, the pounds were starting to pile on, and my body was feeling awful! While I have been on summer break it has actually been quite easy for me to find the time to prepare dinner each night, but I try to be a realist and know that once I start back to school those same old feeling will start to creep back in. That is why I am always on the search for a good slow cooker recipe! I recently stumbled upon this recipe while

Extreme Couponing at Target

If you thought I couldn't get any geekier, than my friends, you were wrong!! I recently stumbled upon a blog called "Saving with Shelly." This blog is amazing and often shows you how to purchase items for great deals. I am not a "crazy coupon queen", but some of these deals are truly too good to pass up. I wanted to shared these deals with you so you can go and get these fabulous deals as well. If you aren't into a good deal then just ignore this blog and check back later this week because I am getting ready to post another fabulous week of meals! If you LOVE this blog entry then you should definitely consider joining Shelly's blog. I will post the link to her blog at the bottom of this entry. Deal #1 Up and Up Brand Aspirin (Target brand) I did this deal three times. One bottle for the house, one for the car and one for my desk! $.99 (use Target on-line coupon $1/1 Up and Up pain reliever coupon) = Free Aspirin http://coupons.target.com/#